Family Law & Divorce
The attorneys at Franz Hultgren Evenson, P.A. are firmly committed to helping families through the legal, emotional and financial issues associated with family law matters. Our dedicated family law attorneys – JoAnn Evenson & Aaron Decker – practice in a variety of family law areas including divorce, custody, parenting time, division of marital property, spousal maintenance, complex business valuations, child support, grandparent rights, third party custody and more.
Contact us to schedule a consultation with a proven family law attorney. We take the time to listen to your concerns, assess your needs, create solutions, negotiate settlements and zealously advocate for you throughout the court process and trial.
Family Law Focus Areas
The attorneys at Franz Hultgren Evenson, P.A. are caring, knowledgeable, and experienced. We will work tirelessly to find a path that works for you and your family as you move through the process and beyond. Family law matters are emotional and complex. Let our expert attorneys guide you.
We help you explore all of your options when it comes to divorce and legal separation. Your family is unique. We help tailor a solution that fits your needs in:
- Divorce & Legal Separation
- Property Values & Division
- Non-Marital Property Determination
- Complex Business & Real Estate Ownership Interest Determination
- Working with Experts (Business Valuations, Custody Evaluations, etc.)
- Alternative Dispute Resolution & Mediation
- Prenuptial & Postnuptial Agreements
- Post-Dissolution Matters (Enforcement of Orders, Modification of Custody, Child Support and Spousal Maintenance, etc.)
You want what’s best for your children. Let us help you navigate the system so you can concentrate on being a parent and being with your child(ren). We understand each family and situation is unique. We will listen to your concerns and develop a strategy based on what matters to you. We handle matters such as:
- Child Custody
- Establish legal custody
- Determine who makes decisions regarding the child’s health, education and religious needs
- Establish physical custody
- Determine the amount of time a child spends with each parent and which parent will make decisions about the child’s daily needs
- Modify child custody
- Establish legal custody
- Parenting Time (Visitation)
- Establish regular, holiday and vacation parenting time that meets the needs of children and their parents
- Modify parenting time
- Child Support
- Establish child support in district court or the expedited process
- Determine Income from simple to complex (e.g. self-employed or commission-based)
- Modify child support
- Work with Custody Evaluators
- Recognition of Parentage
- Adoption and Stepparent Adoption
- Termination of Parental Rights
- Child in Need of Protection or Services (CHIPS)
Complex Business & Real Estate
Our attorneys are experienced in a wide variety of situations ranging from simple matters to those involving complex business, real estate, and agriculture/farm issues. Our firm also has attorneys who practice heavily in a business, real estate, and agriculture/farm law. We handle matters such as:
- Marital and Non-Marital Property Determination
- Inheritance of Farm, Business or Real Estate
- Valuation and Division of Farm, Business, Real Estate and Equipment
- Working with Business Valuation Experts and Financial Accountants
- Working with Appraisers to Determine Property Values
Spousal Maintenance (Alimony)
Our attorneys make sure you are treated fairly so you can maintain a reasonable standard of living after the marriage is dissolved. We can assist with:
- Establish spousal maintenance
- Modify or terminate spousal maintenance based on various factors including cohabitation of the recipient
Under Minnesota law the court may grant visitation or custody rights to grandparents or other third parties. All families are unique and so are the circumstances involved in raising children. Grandparents or nonparent individuals who have had significant contact with the children may qualify for custody or visitation rights under certain circumstances. Let us help you explore options to establish and maintain your third-party custody or visitation rights.
Mediation & Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
Our family law attorneys are qualified by the Minnesota Supreme Court as neutrals under Rule 114 of the Minnesota General Rules of Practice for the District Courts. They have experience representing clients in mediation as well as serving as mediators. Our attorneys work hard to prepare and guide you through mediation to ensure the best results.
Contact us to schedule a consultation with a diligent, proven, and effective family law attorney.TEL: 320-253-7130FAX: 320-253-0503
During a divorce, one spouse may request spousal maintenance, also known as alimony or spousal support. Spousal maintenance is a way of leveling the financial playing field after a divorce is finalized.
We have represented many clients in obtaining spousal maintenance in mediation, district court and the Minnesota Court of Appeals. We have also been successful in defending against claims for spousal maintenance where it was not warranted. Our attorneys have successfully obtained orders terminating spousal maintenance under a law that permits termination where cohabitation is proven.
Spousal maintenance is intended to help a party achieve financial independence. The duration may be temporary (a certain number of years or until a certain event occurs) or permanent. Spousal maintenance is awarded based on the duration of the marriage; each person’s earning capacity; each person’s ability to provide financial support for themselves; each person’s financial need for support based on the standard of living enjoyed during the marriage; and other factors.
Contact us to learn more and set up a consultation today.
Spousal maintenance may be ordered if one spouse will not have the financial resources to meet their reasonable monthly expenses after a divorce. The law requires the court to consider the standard of living the parties enjoyed during the marriage and allocate available resources while recognizing that the standard of living of both may decrease somewhat since it is more expensive to live separately than together. Spousal maintenance needs to be requested during the divorce process or it will be waived
An attorney from Franz Hultgren Evenson, P.A. can help you create the best case to support your spousal maintenance claim or defend against a claim.
The court can award spousal maintenance in an appropriate amount for a temporary or permanent period. Many factors are considered for each party, including:
- Financial resources;
- Responsibilities for children or property;
- Age of the party seeking maintenance;
- Marketable skills;
- Necessary training or education;
- Duration of the marriage;
- Loss of earnings during the marriage;
- Retirement benefits available to the party;
- Other property; etc.
Termination of spousal maintenance can occur by operation of law such as when a party dies, a recipient remarries or by a date defined in the order. It can also occur when certain less-definite circumstances exist such as a recipient becomes financially self-supporting or cohabitates with someone they would otherwise marry but for the desire to continue to receive spousal maintenance.
Modification or termination of a maintenance award can be requested by the paying party if the recipient lives with a person with whom they are in a romantic relationship. A modification or extension of maintenance can be requested by the recipient if payments are scheduled to end per the order and the recipient does not feel they will have the ability to meet their financial needs without continuation of the maintenance award. Modifications may be requested by either party for a variety of reasons such as changes in income or expenses for themselves or the other party.
Contact An Attorney For Spousal Maintenance Assistance Today
At Franz Hultgren Evenson, P.A., we establish close working relationships with clients resulting in strong and effective representation. If you find yourself in need of a spousal maintenance attorney, please contact us today to schedule an appointment.
Building a family through adoption requires an experienced attorney. Because the adoption process can be difficult and confusing, you want an attorney who can anticipate challenges and minimize the risks involved. Minnesota law requires that adoptions be completed via a court process so the best interests of the child can be protected. An adoption involves much more than filing papers with the court. The exact steps you need to follow and documents you need to file depend on the type of adoption.
We have handled a wide variety of adoptions for individuals and couples. Contact an experienced attorney today to learn more.
We Listen To Your Story
We understand each situation is unique. We will listen to your needs and concerns then develop a strategy based on what matters to you and the requirements of your case.
Our clients find adoption is an excellent way to grow their family and provides many legal benefits for the children. We put a high priority on personal service and attention including making certain that you always remain informed regarding the status of your case.
Our Adoption Practice
Our goal is to help families and children. We handle many adoption matters for individuals and families.
- We protect the interests of individuals who seek to adopt the minor child of a spouse or domestic partner through stepparent and second parent adoptions.
- We handle all matters related to direct placement adoptions, also known as open adoptions or independent adoptions.
- We handle all matters related to relative adoption, also known as kinship adoption.
- We serve as the liaison between attorneys for the biological mother and biological father and your adoption agency.
- We prepare all required court documents and serve as your advocate in all hearings and proceedings.
How To Choose An Adoption Attorney
- Contact an attorney as early as possible in the decision-making process.
- Choose an attorney who is experienced in the type of adoption you are considering.
- Understand the estimated total cost of the adoption, including the attorney fees.
- Learn about the specific types of adoptions and services the attorney provides.
- Ask lots of questions, share your concerns, and provide the attorney with all relevant documents and information that could affect qualifying to adopt.
- Recognize that the requirements for adoption vary depending on the type of adoption sought.
Contact An Attorney For Adoption Assistance Today
At Franz Hultgren Evenson, P.A., we establish close working relationships with clients resulting in strong and effective representation. If you find yourself in need of an adoption attorney, please contact us today to schedule an appointment.